Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links with which I may earn a small commission but at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to provide you with free content. All opinions expressed here are genuine.
Summer is here which means it’s smoothie time! Smoothies are cool and refreshing on a beautiful, hot summer’s day. This blueberry pie smoothie recipe has all the delicious flavours of blueberry pie packed into a blended drink. Plus the purple colour is beautiful.
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: not only are smoothies delicious, refreshing, and filling but they are also perfect for people with physical disabilities.
- Smoothies are a super quick and easy way to prepare a complete, filling meal (filled with protein, fruit, vegetables, fibre, and healthy fats).
- They are high in calcium which is crucial for people with disabilities who have low bone density.
- You can pack them with extra protein and calories if you are healing from a pressure wound.
- They’re a great way to sneak in extra fruit and veggies.
- They don’t take a lot of time or energy to make, which makes them a great option for days when you’re in pain or extra fatigued.
- Smoothies are versatile – there are ENDLESS flavour combos so you can make them everyday and never get bored!
- They’re also made with affordable ingredients (hello frozen fruit!).
How to Prep Smoothies in Advance
If mornings are tight for you and you don’t have time to make a smoothie from scratch, here’s what you can do to save time and prep all or part of it in advance:
- Make your smoothie the night before. The ingredients may separate a bit the next morning and it won’t taste as fresh but give it a good stir and it will still taste pretty good. Store it in a flask like this one.
- Portion out the ingredients in containers the night before so all you have to do in the morning is pour everything into the blender (this is the blender that I use – it’s a great investment!). For example, portion out the rolled oats and yogurt in separate containers (like these ones), and place 1 cup of blueberries in a freezer-friendly bag.
- Make a double batch of smoothie in the morning to last you for breakfast the next day.
This Blueberry Pie Smoothie is:
- A good source of fibre (from the blueberries and oats – the Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats are perfect for this smoothie!)
- High in protein (from the Greek yogurt)
- A great source of calcium (from the yogurt and milk)
- A filling breakfast or snack
- Easy and quick to make
- Packed with antioxidants (from the blueberries)
- Five ingredients
If you’re looking for more smoothie recipes, check out this chocolate berry smoothie and yogurt peanut butter cup smoothie, or check out these overnight oats for another simple breakfast option. Make sure to send me a DM on Instagram if you try out any of these recipes!
Blueberry Pie Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk of choice (can also use 1/2 cup kefir and 1/2 cup milk)
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Handful of ice cubes (optional if you want to thicken it)
- Place all ingredients in a blender, starting with the milk and yogurt (this prevents your blade from getting stuck).
- Blend together until it reaches desired consistency.
- Pour in a glass. Top with granola or cereal (optional). Drink and enjoy!
Photos and video by Julia Hop Hing
Jackie is a Toronto-based Registered Dietitian with a Masters of Health Science (MHSc) in Nutrition Communications, whose mission is to empower and support people with disabilities to manage their condition, prevent complications, and live active lifestyles through nutrition. Jackie runs a virtual private practice and consulting business and runs her blog which has simple recipes and health information for the disability community.
2 thoughts on “High Protein Blueberry Pie Smoothie”
It’s actually a cool and useful piece of information about blueberry. I’m satisfied that you shared this useful
info with us.
Please stay us up to date like this.
Thank you for sharing.
I’m so glad to hear that. I hope you enjoy the delicious smoothie!