Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links with which I may earn a small commission but at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help bloggers like me to provide you with free content. All opinions expressed here are genuine.
Summer is just around the corner which means it’s smoothie season! This is one of my favourite smoothie recipes because I love the chocolate and berry combo. It’s also very quick to make and it’s only FIVE ingredients.
If you’ve been following me on Instagram for a while then you’ll know that I am obsessed with smoothies! Not only are they delicious, refreshing, and filling but they are also perfect for people with physical disabilities.
- Smoothies are a super quick and easy way to prepare a complete, filling meal (filled with protein, fruit, vegetables, fibre, and healthy fats).
- They are high in calcium which is crucial for people with disabilities who have low bone density.
- You can pack them with extra protein and calories if you are healing from a pressure wound.
- They’re a great way to sneak in extra fruit and veggies.
- They don’t take a lot of time or energy to make, which makes them a great option for days when you’re in pain or extra fatigued.
- Smoothies are versatile – there are ENDLESS flavour combos so you can make them everyday and never get bored!
- They’re also made with affordable ingredients (hello frozen fruit!).
This Chocolate Berry Smoothie recipe is:
- A good source of fibre (from the berries and flax meal or chia seeds – I recommend the Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal or Inari Organic Black Whole Chia Seed!)
- High in protein (from the Greek yogurt)
- A great source of calcium (from the yogurt and milk)
- A filling breakfast or snack
- Easy and quick to make
- Packed with antioxidants (from the berries)
Check out this adaptive feeding cup that’s perfect for smoothies like this one. Or, if you’re looking to take this smoothie on the go, make sure to put it in a leak-proof insulated bottle like this one!
Chocolate Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries (ie. blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1-2 tbsp flax meal or chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Handful of spinach (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender, starting with the milk and yogurt (this prevents your blade from getting stuck).
- Blend together until it reaches desired consistency.
- Pour in a glass. Top with granola or cereal (optional). Drink and enjoy!
If you’re looking for more smoothie recipes, check out my Yogurt Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie. If you love the chocolate + fruit combination as much as I do, check out my Banana Chocolate Chip Oat Muffins and Double Chocolate Cranberry Cookies recipes too, and make sure to send me a picture on Instagram if you try out any of these recipes!
Photos by Julia Hop Hing
Jackie is a Toronto-based Registered Dietitian whose mission is to empower and support the neurodivergent and physically disabled communities through nutrition. Jackie runs a virtual private practice and blog which has simple recipes and health information tailored to these communities. She loves cooking, exercising, traveling, journaling, and spending time with family and friends.